Monday, June 13, 2005

Lisa Kester "My husband and I strongly support this program and the staff."

Dear Mr. Mayor, Mr. Yeager, and Ms. Chirco,

 

It has been brought to my attention that you are considering saving the Young People’s Theater program.  I was very surprised to find out that this program was at risk of being cancelled.  My husband and I strongly support this program and the staff.

 

Both my daughters have been very active in the YPT for several years and I strongly recommend this program without hesitation to any family.  This program is more than just “something fun to do”; it actually has given my girls great confidence.  Janelle, 13 years, has been in three plays, two summer camps, and two improve camps.  She has great ease being in front of a group of people whether singing, dancing or speaking– she actually looks forward to the opportunity and excels. Rebecca, 9 years, has been in two plays and three summer camps.  Rebecca has great difficulties with anxiety and we were not sure how she would do, but not only did she perform very well in the plays, but sang a solo in front of our entire church congregation and also was asked to fill in for a lead role (learned her lines in 4 days) in a school play – without hesitation.  My girls have benefited and learned great life skills by participating in this program.  While my older daughter may choose to pursue drama opportunities through her high school, my younger daughter will still continue to participate with YPT.

 

As a parent, we are required to volunteer during the performances.  I thoroughly enjoyed this opportunity and was really able to see how this program not only benefited my children, but also impacted and assisted other children’s personal needs.  I was very impressed with the patience (and at the same time stern guidelines – which I appreciate) and the vision of the staff to see that some of these kids just need the opportunity to perform and succeed.  This may sound very simple; yet the positive effect on these children is so great.

 

I know what this program has done personally for my children and I hope that the existence of this program will not again come into question as to its importance to our community and to our children. 

 

Best regards,

 

Lisa Kester

Glenpark Drive

CA 95136

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home